2013-09-02

Photo of the Week 2013-09-02

When life gets busy and there are more demands on my time, more things on the "to do list", more things that others are expecting from me, I need to ensure that I make time for those things that feed my sole. I was reminded of this on the Labour Day long weekend.

Coming off a very busy week at work, Lynn and I had been looking forward to spending our second weekend at the cottage, continuing to settle in. There really wasn't that much remaining to be done and it's really a relaxing change from our regular weekends in the city. Still, I was feeling the need to scratch the photography itch. As new and great as the scenery right at the cottage is, I needed to get out on a photography specific trek, not just snap some images down by the shore at the cottage (although that can produce some great images too).

I find that going out on a solo outing requires initiative and commitment. When it's just me, it can be all too easy to delay departure time and miss the good light or to give up before even getting started because the weather looks "iffy". I find that companions, preferably other photographers with similar subject interests really helps here. Going out with others to photograph requires planning and almost always involves a location selected ahead of time. Going out solo can often be an impromptu thing with no specific location in mind and while there is something to be said for the spontaneity of of just getting out and going where the creative force pulls you, I don't find that it is always enough to get me out the door, much less up after a restless night in a still unfamiliar bed.

... so up a bit late, coffee made,I managed to get the inspiration when Lynn got up and said "there's mist on the water". I poured the remainder of my coffee in a travel cup, grabbed my bag of gear and jumped in the vehicle. Hey, I was in "The Bruce", there was lots to shoot, that is one reason we had chosen to buy a cottage here. As I drove down the road, my thoughts were of Singing Sands in morning light but continuing on Hwy 6, I saw the orange glow of sunrise over the trees and knew that I needed to head to the east side ... Little Cove would be spectacular if I could get there in time. Why had I not got up and left earlier?


I may just be able to make it ... 


Morning Glow at Little Cove
DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment