2014-01-06

Photo of the Week 2014-01-06

An annual event, the "First Light Challenge", initiated by a friend several years ago, had me out of a warm bed at the cottage and in -15*C (-25*C windchill) at 7:00 am heading for the exposed platform of the lookout tower 20m in the air at the Fathom Five Marine National Park Visitor's Centre in Tobermory. The object of his challenge is to make an image at precisely sunrise on the first day of the new year.

I knew it would be a tad on the chilly side, so I was bundled up in my winter coat, pants and gloves with balaclava, hat and hood up (I should have made a selfie). I had chosen the lookout tower hoping that there may be a break in the clouds, enough to show some hint of sunrise at 8:06 am. I began my climb of the tower in the relative shelter of adjacent cedars and quickly reached an elevation where there was no hiding from the driving wind. Eyes watering and being very careful not to miss step, I negotiated the frozen creaking metal grate stairs and was in position with 20 minutes to spare.

I set up the 5DIII on tripod and made some images of the surrounding views with both it and the 7D handeld, preparing for the final shot. I had in mind to capture a sweeping wide angle landscape from the high vantage point but without the bright sun and colour of sunrise as a focal point, I changed to a shot of the distant shores of Dunks and Little Dunks Bays with the mist coming of the relatively warm waters of Georgian Bay sweeping over the shore and forest at exactly 8:06 am, January 1, 2014.


First Light 2014 - Tobermory, ON


After the challenge shot, I gathered up my gear, carefully tread back down the tower to the car and headed for another location to capture some more images. Below is a serise of shots from the outing. Enjoy !


Tobermory 2014-01-01


My Perch for "Fiirst Light" 2014-01-01
Waves at mouth of Big Tub



Cold New Year Waters
 
Big Tub Light

Big Tub Light in Mist





Winter Shores

































All my very best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy 2014.
DJE

3 comments:

  1. Great photos. I like the warm glow of the Big Tub light. You are a brave soul, going up that tower in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karol !
      Thanks for commenting. There are more challenging locations to access for sunrise on the first day of the year .... maybe next year ;-)

      Delete
  2. Incredible photos! I love Tobermory and you've captured the wild winter beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete